Re: Anyone use MMC's with their pole transformers???????????

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Pieter,
PT's are potential transformers, typically used on high tension power
lines to provide a lower proportional voltage for metering purposes.
 Typical ratings might be 14.4 kV to 110V or 220V at one half to an amp
or so.  These are sort of like a small pole pig, but are embedded in
silicone or epoxy instead of being oil immersed like a pole pig.
Availability may be limited, depending on your location and luck at the
scrap yard.   These are sometime used as supplies for medium to large
size coils.  A series set of 6 or 8 microwave oven transformers can do a
good imitation of one of these, at a lower (or next to no) cost, except
for your time to collect and assemble them.

XRTs are X-Ray Transformers.  Taken from X-ray machine power supplies,
they typically are rated at much higher voltages -- 25 - 100 kV, at
about 50 mA.  They are usually run under oil immersion, and may (or may
not) be current limited with a magnetic shunt, like neon sign
transformers.  Coil applications are limited by the voltage ratings (too
high) and current limitations (too low).

HTH,
Dave