Re: Anyone use MMC's with their pole transformers???????????

PT's are Potential Transformers (a rather redundant name if you think about
it), and are used in things like substations, etc to lower a really high
voltage down to something the meter can handle. They're mainly used for
instrumentation and such. Most of the ones I come across are useless for
coiling. I see a lot of 2,400V/120V-1.5kVA ones, the biggest I've ever seen
personally is 14.4kV/240V-10kVA and it's sitting in a rack in our lab :)
It's interesting because it's dry (meaning it's not in a can filled with
oil) and is just a "Core and Coil".

XRTs are X-Ray Transformers. These vary from little ones for dental X-ray
units up to gigantic 1600Lbs ones for lab use. They're not just transformers
though. The ones I have seen ae basicly a oil-filled box with a *VERY* high
voltage transformer (Usually 50 to 150kV output with a 240V in), plus a
large rectifier setup, and another small transformer floating at HV. The
little transformer will have something like a 5 volt difference so that the
outputs of the whole thing will be something like 150,000V and 150,005 V.
XRTs are easy to get, but basicly useless for coiling because of the
exceedingly high voltages and low power levels. XRTs are designed to only be
turned on for a second or so, whereas NSTs are designed to be run for
decades :) If you do ever stumble across one here's a few things to know.

1. Check to see if it's rectifier is solid-state or tube. As a rule, if it's
got a glass window on top, it's tube, often they will have either a window
or an access panel of some sort to make changing the tubes easier. The tubes
usually come in pairs and they're *really* big, like 3"dia (ribbed) and 6"
long. The ones I have usually have 2 terminals on the bottom and one on top
of the tube.

2. If it's an option, get a GE brand transformer. While I *detest* GE as a
corporation, they have done one good thing. NO GE MEDICAL TRANSFORMER HAS
EVER LEFT THE FACTORY WITH PCB OIL! I've heard this from several places and
have never heard otherwise. Now, weather or not someone has changed the oil
in the tranny with PCB is another matter, but, when it left, it was safe.

3. GET THE CABLES! XRTs often come from the wild with their cables attached.
GET THEM! Because there worth their weight to a serious HV guy :) Those
cables are rated to at LEAST 50kV! And the "Federal" connectors on the ends
cost a small fortune to buy, and you'll HAVE to have them for your tranny.
When you see the plugs you'll understand, they're about 6" long and an inch
thick. Remember to pour a little (very little, like a shot, or it'll spurt!)
oil into each socket before you turn it on! Keep the cables plugged into the
HV terminals when not in use, if you get dust in there it WILL carbon-track
and arc to the frame and they're a serious bitch to clean.

Guess how I know this? :)

If you ever have to open one be prepared for a BIG mess. The tool of choice
is a Genie-Lift or a forklift or something similar. The whole transformer is
mounted to the lid of the box. If you get one with lifting eyes those are
usually the mounting bolts of the internal cage. There will be a hundred
little bolts around the edge (oiltight *snicker* seal) that have to come
out. Then lift from the eyes and voila, you'll have a cage with a
transformer on the bottom, and other goodies on top.

Remember that XRTs are center tapped, like an NST. Even though you're
getting 150kV out, it's actually +75 and -75 at any given moment, and in
their stock configuration they're outputting DC, not AC!

Also note that, like MOTs and Pigs, PTs and XRTs are unballasted, and
require some throttleing or you'll eat breakers :)

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson