Re: minimum number of primary turns...

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Justin Wright by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <justin-at-tracesofnut-dot-com>
 > What is the smallest number of turns on a primary that will be effective.
 >   I am trying to work out a secondary size that will suit the power supplies
 > that I have.

One turn is enough. Doesn't have to be flat. Terry has a great example
of this in the pics of his OLTC  :)

If you keep the pri resistances "low enough" then the low inductance vs
conductor resistance doesn't affect Q "too" much. Spark gap losses will
then be the major part of pri losses.

But mind you that at the same time as you reduce turns <=> reduce pri
inductance, you will lower the surge impedance so peak currents are
higher. Your capacitor must be able to survive those...

Good reading at
  http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/parts2.html
(lower part of page, 6. surge impedance)

cheers,

   - Jan