Re: Variable capacitor

Original poster: "Mike by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all,
   I've made one of these pipe-in-pipe variable caps
and it worked ok, but this thread gave me an idea.
Why not construct a flat plate cap with many plates,
separated sufficiently, of course to handle the
primary voltage.  have one set of the plates fixed and
the other movable so they could be raised/lowered via
a rope and pulley.  This could be an air cap, but if
someone was industrious enough, it could be placed in
a tank of oil and get about twice the total
capacitance due to the dielectric constant of the oil.
  Just a thought here.
Mike