Re: BPS, J/bang, and spark length

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel Barrett by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dbarrett1-at-austin.rr-dot-com>
> A) keep my exisiting 6.5 J/bang MMC and run it at 277BPS (=1.8kVA)
> -or-
> B) increase my MMC to 15J/bang and run it at 120BPS (=1.8kVA)

Larger primary capacitor cause larger output voltage, since the maximum
voltage gain is sqrt(C1/C2), where C1 is the primary capacitor and
C2 is the effective terminal capacitance. You already verified that
by keeping the voltage and increasing the power you get longer
sparks. If you keep the power and increase the voltage, with larger
primary capacitance, the spark length can only increase.
So far, I have not seen an empirical or theoretical rule stating how
much voltage is really required at the output for a Tesla coil that
produces the usual effects.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz