Re: Variable capacitor

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

(back up an idea or so)
How about this... its an extension of the copper tube inside
a pvc tube inside a copper tube idea.

A picture of my 3d model is better than a description
though its not a great model....

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~cdowdy2/graphics/VCAP.jpg

I figure you would need to fill the thing with transformer oil
Different capacitances could be attained via inserting the
the inner tubes with the crank on the top.
Pvc could be used to isolate the larger diamter tube
from the outer walls of the cap, as well as the other copper tubes

In the model I joined the conductive tubes to thin conductive plates
and then ran the leads out of the top, these could easily be
rearanged to make acces to the top of the device safer
as well as useing some non conductive material for the screw
attached to the crank or a non conductive crank.

Im not a ME or an EE so
please tell me what you think
Chris Dowdy