Re: Capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>John Richardson- all
>I like your idea it sounds doable. But I think your problem is not
<dielectric strength, a good transformer oil or mineral oil will do. It’s <the
<cap surface area that will be a bitch to figure. If you think of the amount
<of surface area in a good-sized bottle cap or a large rolled (polyethylene
<and aluminum sheet) cap, it is a lot. Just to get up to the capacitance <of a
<small Geek MMC, homemade’s get big.

<But I think if you were to design a cap like the ones used to tune radios
<the kind you mentioned. Make it BIG and put it under oil it would work <cool.

<Ambition is not a bad thing

<Read you later
<Josh

Josh, John, all,

I would envision placing the said homemade variable capacitor
in parallel with a larger fixed capacitor that has a capacitance
in the "ballpark" of the desired total primary tank capacitance.
You could then use the variable capacitor to fine tune the pri-
mary circuit.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben