Re: lightning arresters

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

Hi All,

It is important to note that these arrestors _are not_ continuous duty
devices.  Your pole pig outputting 14.4kV at an amp or so can toast one of
these in a split second.  Do they look like they can dissipate 15kW? ;-)

They are very effective as overvoltage protection in Tesla coil circuits,
however they must be specified to 'fire' at a voltage well above that of the
transformer, to account for resonant rise effects.  You do not want them to
clip every slight transient event, only the big dangerous ones.  Where the
danger threshold comes depends on the robustness and safety margins of your
components

If anyone's interested I have a 15 of these 15kV arrestors manufactured by
the Ohio Brass Company Inc. , unused, in manufacturer's packing, for £10 a
piece plus shipping.  Contact me at nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk for details.

Safe Coiling,
Nick
Nick Field, HVFX