Re: Wrong Welder?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/21/02 7:00:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Gregg,
>
> I think your welder is exactly the right sort for
> ballasting. Are you sure the welder works OK? Have you
> tried to weld anything with it? What do you mean 1
> inch arcs? 1 inch arcs from where to where?
>
> Regards,
>
> --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> > Original poster: "Gregg Adams by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <network-at-nexband-dot-com>
> >
> > Hello all,
> >    I hooked up my stick welder in series with my
> > 240v and then put that into my
> > pig.  Max arc was about 1 inch!  I had the secondary
> > shorted on the welder and
> > set to the highest amperage setting.  The way the
> > amperage is changed is a
> > sliding core between the pri and sec of the welder.
> > Can anyone see what I may
> > have done wrong or is this type of welder not good
> > for ballasting?  BTW, the
> > welder is a Craftsman 230amp.  It appears to be an
> > older welder.
> >
> > Thanks for any Re:'s
> > Gregg Adams
> =====
> Gregory R. Hunter

You might want to hook up a jacobs ladder on the distribution transformer and
test  the primary voltage / current control set up - completely disconnected
from the Tesla coil.  Just use 3/8" to 1/2" copper tubing and bolt directly to
the transformer high voltage outputs.  Careful with this, obviously it can kill
you, and the copper tubing gets real hot real fast.  Keep run times very
short.  It will give you a relative idea of how much current you are getting
out of the transformer.

Ed Sonderman