Re: Wrong Welder?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Gregg,

I think your welder is exactly the right sort for
ballasting. Are you sure the welder works OK? Have you
tried to weld anything with it? What do you mean 1
inch arcs? 1 inch arcs from where to where?

Regards,

> Original poster: "Gregg Adams by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <network-at-nexband-dot-com>
>
> Hello all,
>    I hooked up my stick welder in series with my
> 240v and then put that into my
> pig.  Max arc was about 1 inch!  I had the secondary
> shorted on the welder and
> set to the highest amperage setting.  The way the
> amperage is changed is a
> sliding core between the pri and sec of the welder.
> Can anyone see what I may
> have done wrong or is this type of welder not good
> for ballasting?  BTW, the
> welder is a Craftsman 230amp.  It appears to be an
> older welder.
>
> Thanks for any Re:'s
> Gregg Adams

=====