Re: Flat spiral vs Solenoid Wire Length/Inductance Observations

To a first order, yes, you could look at a flat spiral as a solenoidal
coil....  But, the significant thing that you're not handling is the
different configuration of  mutual inductance between turns, which does have
an effect on the overall inductance.  In both cases, turns that are farther
apart don't have as much flux linking them.

The standard Wheeler approximation equations are also quite similar...

Both have inductance that is roughly proportional to N^2, which is the
dominant thing.. In fact, if the turns were all collocated(infinitely thin,
and in the same place), the inductance of a N turn inductor would be N^2
that of a 1 turn inductor of the same dimensions.  All physical realizations
have to spread the turns out somewhat, reducing the coupling of the turns,
so the inductance will be less...

That said, I'll bet, without looking in detail at the problem, that there
are fairly significant ranges of dimensional parameters (no doubt those that
crop up in tesla coiling) where the approximation you propose would be
within 10%..