Re: Where to get PDT?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/16/02 6:18:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Any PDT you find may be filled with PCB oil. A guess--I have no idea. I
> would not be afraid of this as long as you don't take a bath in it. Others
> on this group may disagree. Best of luck, and welcome.
> Dave Hartwick
> Chambersburg, PA
> USA

Hi Dave, EEOI,

I would tend to doubt that PCBs are as big of an issue to the Russian
authorities as they are here in America with the big influence of the en-
vironmental groups here. I personally think the dangers of PCBs have
been blown somewhat out of proportion just because it was determined
that LONG TERM exposure to them could cause cancer. I'm sure others
on this group would disagree with me on this, too. However, it dosen't
really matter what I think about it, the fact is if the Environmental Protec-
tion Agency here in America becomes privy to the fact that I have PCB
laden electrical equipment, it could end up costing me $1000s! So for
that reason alone, I don't want to have anything to do with transformers
or capacitors that are not certified PCB-free, no matter how good the
deal on them is.

Incidently, I found a nice 100 kVA, 14,400 volt to 120/240 volt pole pig
on ebay about a month ago that had a starting bid of $150. It was less
than 700 miles from me, so I figured that I could go pick it up myself
if I bid on it and won, as I have a Silverado 1500HD pick-up truck. So
I emailed the seller and asked if I could come pick it up in about a
month if I got it. I also asked him if it was PCB free. Strange thing
happened after that. Although there were still several days left on the
auction at the time that I emailed him, the transformer was promptly
taken off of ebay within 24 hours and my enquiry was never answered!
Go figure!

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben