Re: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>
 > Laurence Davis wrote:
 >>I've walked around my neighborhood with a longwave
 >>radio that tunes to the frequency of my coil, which
 >>is around 220khz.
 >>...I have about a 3 block radius of perceptable noise
 > That's a nice test.  Can you tell us how closely confined
 > the noise was to one or a couple of frequencies on the
 > receiver.  In other words could you pick up the coil over
 > a wide tuning range, or did you have to tune around to find
 > it?   If the latter, did it appear in one, two, or three
 > separate places on the dial?  Was your coil breaking out
 > at the time?
	All excellent questions...

 > 3 blocks is a good way, considering the coil is well
 > shielded by virtue of being down in the basement
	I'd not expect this to be wholly effective.
	I routinely get 'worldwide' SW reception with
	a SW receiver, with whip, in the basement.
	Granted, coiling freqs are different.
	The basement is not the BEST place for a transmitter,
	but, ferinstance, wiring, etc, leaves the area, taking
	the noise with it...

 > and partially caged.  Is it more or less the same in all
 > directions, I wonder?  If it's 3 blocks in only one
 > or two directions it may be flowing down the mains or
 > something.

 > When you're out with the radio, (and assuming it uses
 > a ferrite rod antenna), you should find as you rotate
 > the radio that in one particular alignment the signal
 > vanishes almost completely.
	Less so if its riding the mains, or other
	wiring....

 > In this alignment, is the antenna axis pointing towards your
 > coil, or towards somewhere else?
	...and, if monitoring other freqs (which would be
	instructive), the ferrite antenna may be out of circuit...
	Certainly so on VHF (FM....)

	In my experience (and i believe the physics goes
	with this...)
		Loudest signal is 'broadside'
		Sharpest  _direction_ is with the null (least
		signal)
		Null is off the _end_ of the ferrite.

 > If it's not pointing towards the coil, that indicates that
 > the RF is flowing along some guiding structure that passes
 > your house, which is helping it to travel.  If, on the
 > other hand, wherever you are, the 'null' of the signal occurs
 > when you point at your house, then your coil and basement
 > itself is the 'point' source.
	...and its probably a bit of both...
	And the most sensitive DF will be done a bit away
	from the source.

	Which, with my suggestions would be:
		Interesting
	and