variac find

Original poster: "Fox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

My grandfather owns an old auto scrap yard and informed me he had a
control panel from a printing press that i could take parts from. upon
opening it up i found two 25 amp variacs hooked up in parellel for 240v
operation.

these had been sitting out in the rain and need cleaned up, but they dont
have any major damage to them that i can see.

I do have several questions. These variaces are 25 amp 0-140v. what is the
difference between a variac that can handle 120 and one that can handle
240v?

These seem like they might be suitable for handling a 10 pva pig. if i
hook them up in series then i can send the pig 240v -at- 25a, not near the
pig's rating (which will be ok for a while). or i can give it up to 140v -at-
50 A which would allow me to give the 10kva pig plenty of current but only
around half its voltage.

Is there an idea i'm missing that would let me make the most of these
variacs?

-matt