Re: The science behind streamer sounds

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Brett   - all

If I’m right the sound from tesla sparks are made the same way sound is made
for any spark.

A spark is plasma. For air to become plasma (spark) it must be heated. The
electrical energy heats the air into plasma. This happens VERY quickly and
the heated air rapidly expands, causing a pressure wave to form. This wave
is the “snap” or BANG! you hear.

In a tesla coil many sparks are forming very quickly. So one hears a BUZZZ!
Sound.
Any difference in the Zzzzap, Buzzzz sound that we all know and love should
be do to your coils PBS. And or the intensity of the spark.

Read you later
Josh