Re: 4 kv 20 ma shunts

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> I could use some help in removing shunts from my Franceformer 4 kv 20 ma
> transformer.  I have not done this before and am having trouble figuring
out
> where they are and how to get them out.  I would describe this transformer
as
> a closed frame with a core bar through the center.  The primary is wound
on
> one side of the central core and the secondary on the other side.  There
are
> several small pieces of soft metal between the secondary winding and the
> frame both above and below it.  I don't know exactly how many there are
but
> they are well secured with shellac and covered with a stiff paper material
> between them and the frame.  I don't know if those are the shunts that I
want
> to remove, but they are well secured and very soft, they just want to bend
as
> I try to drive them out.

1.  Your transformer is considered, "open frame", not a closed transformer.

2.  If you place your transformer standing up in front of you with the
removable plastic nameplate
directly in front of you, the shunts are located in the middle at both top
and bottom.   You can seem them
in this picture which is a link to Gary Lau's page:

http://users.rcn-dot-com/laushaus/tesla/minicoil_files/nstshunts.jpg

3.  To remove the shunts you need to use brute force.  Get a big flat head
screwdriver and an even larger hammer.
Start hammering away.  Eventually, they'll start sliding out.  Don't worry
about damaging your transformer.  You really *DO* have
to hit it EXTREMELY hard.  Much harder than you think.

4.  Knock the shunts out and then put in say only half.  Just make sure you
have equal amounts of shunts on top and bottom.

Dan