Re: GMHEICSLR - Tie!!

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hi All,
>
> We are declaring a tie between Brett Miller and me
> for the fabulous
> GMHEICSLR!!  To close to call either way.  I'll see
> about sending the
> trophy to him so he can enjoy his half.

;)

> "Half" congratulations to Brett!!!  He has worked
> very hard on this!!!!

Thank you Terry!  It sure has been tough.

All:

The way I did it last year was by using a 4uf 1000v
capacitor made by Plastic Capacitors Inc.  For some
reason I got better results than with 1.7uf, which I
also tried.  I have a hunch that a larger bang size is
better in this single shot application.

For a power supply I used a 5kv 20ma nst with a
Microwave Oven rectifier on one of the HV legs.  I
kept the voltage low using a variac.  If any of you
decide to use this method I would advise investing in
a HV probe for your DMM.  They are readily available
from Digikey and while expensive are well worth it,
plus you can use them on your other HV projects.  Last
year I didn't have one and I got eager with the variac
and overvolted that capacitor and it failed.  If
anyone has any caps near or above this rating that you
want to sell let me know off list.  It gets pretty
expensive when you try to build up a paralleled MMC to
4uf at 1000v.

For a spark gap I used two 1/8" tunsten rods mounted
in drilled and tapped steel bolts which were attached
to a polycarbonate frame.

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett/gmheicslr/pics/tungsten_gap.jpg

Good luck to anyone who wants to do this, but you
should probably be prepared to spend a significant
amount of money.

-Brett