Re: "real" lightning and TC lightning...

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>I was just wondering, what is the difference between "real" lightning and
>(the
>average)TC Lightning discharge (i.e. voltage, frequency, temp).

Voltage...a LOT :) TCs are in the 100's of kV (some of the freaky big ones
like Electrum and the 13M are Megavolt+ systems, but most are much less).
Lightning is several Megavolts. The biggest coils on earth make less than
100' arcs, lighting is Thousands of feet.

Freq, Lighting is a few shots in the same place all going the same way. It
ramps up, then down. It's not a single BANG, it's more a boom Boom BOOM!
kinda thing. A TC isn't a single shot either (usually, I know I know...) a
TC is a series of several arcs down teh same path at a constant freq.

Lighting is DC, as far as TC's well, I'm not really sure if they're AC or
DC. I was sure yesterday, then your question got me thinking....like this...

I used to believe that a TC rang up the topload by storing successive
charges until breakout, then you get an arc. But if this is the case the
output would be DC, pure DC like a VDG (think how a VDG works, small stored
charges of energy in a topload).

If a TC was storing AC in the topload it would even out and there would be
no breakout as the topload went from +20kV to 0 to -20kV to 0 etc....

Then again....I'm not all that bright, lol Anyone care to explain, in wicked
detail, the output functions of a TC?

>Also, are the
>discharges from a TC plasma?

All sparks, arcs, and fire are Plasma. It's the 4th state of matter, an
Ionised Gas. It's also how Neon Tubes work I think, but I'm not sure.

If so, what are the characteristics of plasma?

Varies with temp, colder is more red, then orange, ten purple, blue, and
white. It can also be deflected and manipulated with a magnetic field.

>Thanks
>Adam

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn-dot-com