single mosfet flyback driver

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

You are probably all familiar with the common single transistor
(often a 2N3055) flyback driver which self tunes to the resonant
frequency of the flyback. I was wondering if anyone has tried this
with a mosfet? Obviously the circuit would need some modification
over that of the transistorised version, but the operating principles
would be the same. I see that using a mosfet would have two major
advantages:

1. Faster switching is possible

2. Higher voltage/current mosfets are cheaper than transistors.

Could anyone out there let me know if they have done this. Or else,
can someone offer some suggestions on building such a supply?

Cheers,

Greg.