RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I think that trying to have everyone measure the operating power of a coil,
even just VA, particularly when using static gaps, will result in a lot of
wrong measurements.  Terry's standard fuse suggestion overcomes the problem
somewhat, but then the run time, off time, and fuse temperature becomes
critical.  I like NST secondary VA - Isc times Voc, as anyone with a
multimeter can measure it.

Still reviewing public opinion, Gary Lau
MA, USA

In a message dated 10/4/02 10:37:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I'm leery of attempting to accurately gauge entries for true Watts.  I
> assume the formula deals in true watts, not VA, right?

Gary,

Yes, I did write the formula for true Watts originally.
Folks often quote it as VA though.  VA could be used
for the competition since it would simply hurt one's
results if they had a poor PF.  One still wonders what
quality of voltmeter or ammeter may wind up being used
in some instances.

John