FW: PPA (Personal Protective Equipment) Re: Mad experiment - Stick to Birdcage

Original poster: "brianb by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>

All,

While a birdcage is far safer than "Lightning from the Fingertips" it is
still a "Stunt" and requires serious consideration during construction and
execution (even more so if you are taking big arcs). The following points
out some key areas to consider but is not a comprehensive list or guide to
doing this stunt.

First, it is imperative that the entire cage stays at the same potential and
be structurally sound. It wouldn't be pleasant for the occupant if some part
of the cage, by accident or poor construction, was raised to a different
potential or if part of the cage fell apart around them.

Second, eye protection is a must. Small particles are thrown off the cage
with bigger arcs (my cages have pits in them after a run). As for UV
protection, big arcs are bright, especially end-on and close-up. Some sort
of eye protection should be used (big arcs viewed close-up produce the same
effect on the eyes as welding flash).

Third, for large arcs the amount of ozone generated and the close proximity
of the occupants face to the ozone presents another risk which is often
overlooked. This risk can be a significant hazard, even if operating
outside, and needs to be considered.

Fourth, occupant placement, training, signals, and emergency procedures need
to be well understood and rehearsed.

These are just a few points to consider, there are many others (i.e. Nomex
clothing may be a consideration at times, etc., etc.).

Regards,
Brian B.

http://fp2.antelecom-dot-net/brianb/farady.htm

http://www.teslacoil-dot-com/ look under "Extreme Stunts"