VTTC, ITS ALIVE!

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

OK,

I have managed to get my new VTTC (1 X 811A) to work, good!  Im sure it can
do much, much better, since i have only gotten about 3" or so.  I have been
hesitant to crank it up on the variac because at about 65% the tube began to
glow orange.  I like to run with the plate colorless.  My russian caps seem
just fine and do not get warm at all.  My 5k ohm 20W resistor in the grid
leak gets rather warm/ hot.  I have noticed that at the 50% and above
settings, the coil seems to loose oscillation for a very short (.3 sec or
less) period of time.  What could this be?  Is the tube arcing over? i cant
see any flash.  I dont have the LR filter on the plate yet, but will add it
tomorrow.  I think i need to work out some things with the grid coil.
Possibly less turns, i have 27 right now, and the norm seens to be about
20-25.  I think i'll take 2 off and try again.  I will also try the
adjustable distance between the 2 coils and see if that will help.  I will
need a new secondary (i think) because this one tunes at only 19turns with a
1.5" X 6" toroid.  Its amazing that this coil worked the first time i turned
it on!  I was even very close with the tuning, only off by a turn!  If
anyone has some other suggestions, id love to hear them.

Steve Ward.