Re: dazed and confused.

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Cajun Dude,

There's nothing wrong with your IQ. WinTesla is
telling you the truth. The number of primary turns is
related to secondary resonant frequency. If your
secondary has many turns of very fine wire, or if it
is large diameter, or both, it will resonate at lower
frequency, requiring more turns on the primary to get
in tune. If you use fewer turns of thicker wire on the
secondary, or a skinny secondary coil form, or both,
the resonant frequency will be higher and you can get
away with fewer primary turns.

Actually, more turns on the primary is a good thing,
as it may imply reduced spark gap losses and higher
efficiency. For a coil in this power class, it's OK to
use #10AWG copper wire for the primary. This will
allow you to crowd more primary turns into a smaller
spiral that will fit on your primary deck. Another
possibility is to make your primary from an inch wide
ribbon of aluminium roof flashing. This will allow a
very compact spiral with lotsa turns on it.

Am I helping any or making things worse? If you are
still confused, contact me off-list.

Best Regards,

> Original poster: "Cajun Coiler by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>
>

> Ok, I'm getting a bit confused here, as to properly
> designing a tank
> circuit...  When I query WinTesla about my NST
> (15/30), it says I should
> use a capacitor of .0053uF.  However, when I plug
> that value into the
> section for figuring the primary, it only matches up
> with that capacitance
> when there is like 38 turns (1/4" copper tubing,
> flat spiral).  Yet, most
> of the systems I see using this size NST, and this
> primary material, have
> somewhere between 6 and 16 turns on the primary.
> What am I missing?
> Someone please let me in on this secret quickly, as
> I can almost HEAR my
> IQ level dropping from the confusion.
>
> ---
> C.L. Mayeux