RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

I agree with Malcolm. Beating John Freau's  1.7 sqrt(VA) is more of a
challenge to coilers. That is the first rule required. The second rule would
cover the type of spark. Spark types have never been agreed upon by coilers
in the past for any kind of test. Because large coils are inefficient only
small coils could be used. I believe it was R. Hull who said that he was
able to get a 6 inch spark with 5 watts input. That is a 57% increase over
the John F. equation. So the challenge is not an impossible goal.

As the input VA of the Tesla coil is increased the overall efficiency
decreases and the maximum spark length becomes much less than the John F.
equation. It would be interesting to know the VA input that gives the
optimum spark length. It looks like 5 VA is the winner at present.

John Couture