Re: using a computer screen to test motor synhnicity..

In a message dated 10/3/02 2:08:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I remember reading that you could use the light from a flouro tube to
> examine the rotation.  I tried this with all sorts of bits of tape attached
> to the shaft, but I couldn't see anything.

Justin,

It's very difficult or impossible to see the lockup by observing
a piece of tape stuck to the shaft, under fluorescent light.
It's better to tape a cardboard
disc about 3" in dia. to the shaft, and draw a heavy black line
across the disc, or place a piece of tape across the disc.
Fluorescent light will give a very fuzzy view of the tape, but
lockup can be seen using a disc.  Be sure to use a ballast type
fluorescent light, not the high frequency inverter types.
Many folks have had great difficulty in seeing the lock-up
effect, whereas others have little trouble.  It's sort of a
discoloration smear that is being looked for.  Once you
see the locked pattern for the first time, then it's easy to
see in subsequent attempts.

John