Re: Tesla's enjoyment of ozone.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Writeme Now by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<writeme42-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hi Group,

> I recently read "Man out of Time" by Margaret Cheney.  I seem
> to recall something about Tesla wanting to open up some Ozone
> Parlors and charge admission.  He seemed to like the smell,
> and side effects,

	There are many things that feel good' near term, that,
	long term, are harmful.  And the human race has learnt
	a great deal since then about how the body works.
	(at the time, if wealthy enough, one could drink 'radium
	waters'.  By 1930 it was known that they killed.  In
	1900, they were popular.)

> yet everywhere i read about the dangers of inhalation.  What are

> the dangers of ozone besides headaches, and does it build up in

> the blood and have long term effects???
	Casual google search on

	  ozone hazards
	turns up 104,000 references.
	One, plucked at random, quotes a US Government Study:
US GOVERNMENT STATEMENTS ABOUT OZONE HAZARDS
AND
THE MAXIMUM CONCENTRATIONS ALLOWED
HOW IS OZONE HARMFUL?
The same chemical properties that allow high concentrations
of ozone to react with organic material outside the body
give it the ability to react with similar organic material
that makes up the body, and potentially cause harmful health
consequences. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs.
Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing,
shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also
worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and
compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory
infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to
ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory
difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed
to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater
amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of
harmful respiratory effects. Recovery from the harmful
effects can occur following short-term exposure to low
levels of ozone, but health effects may become more damaging
and recovery less certain at higher levels or from longer
exposures (US EPA, 1996a, 1996b).

	Further study would be in order....

	best
	dwp