Re: Backwards primary?

>>I was wondering, Would it help anything if you made a primary that,
>> instead of starting at the primary and going up, it went from

>> the secondary down?
> Not sure what you mean... do you mean a conical primary?
	I read the question as a primary below the secondary, or,

	put another way: secondary propped up above the
	primary.  I'd expect reduced coupling, leading to
	reduced efficiency.  A flat, or Conical, primary
	would be another approach.  Many people find other
	cures to the 'strike to primary' problem.

>>Also, it is possible to wind your secondary
>>and take out the pipe? What would be the pros of doing this?

> Interesting point. It would be tricky, and the lack of epoxy / varnish /
> whatever between the windings would lower the insulation of the wire
> dramatically (remember in many cases the secondary has to take 1kV or more
> between the turns!!). You would also have to use a seperate support for the
> topload, and it would be very delicate. However, if you could somehow seal
> the wire onto the form and then slide out the form, then the RF penetration
> would be increased. As it is, most plastics such as PP have a very high RF
> penetration, so it would make very little difference.
	Indeed.  This has been discussed before, cf the archives,

	tho i disrecall titles.  My recollection is as above:
	Unlikely to GAIN anything worth the effort..

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge