Re: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

All,

What Dan fails to mention is that the typical operating frequencies of a TC,
60-500kHz, are way below any amateur radio band.  Primarily these frequecies
are only used for radionavigation.  With the short duration run times we
normally do should not cause anyone that locally happens to be using that
frequency a problem.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.html

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>

>I know a lot of people here claim that tesla coils are quite "lousy" at
>being antennas and all that, but they throw a whole huge amount of RF hash
>out in the atmosphere especially when run outside.  Especially in a very
>urbanized area, you may attract the attention of other "listens" especially
>if near an airport, etc...
>
>My very good friend Lou, a seasoned ham operator, made a bet with me.  He
>claimed he could hear my tesla coil with his antennas at 20 miles away
>during operation.  Since "the group" here previously claimed that tesla
>coils were lousy radiators, i figured i had that bet won.  Anyways, i set
>my
>coil up outside and he and my friend were at his house where all his ham
>equipment was set-up.  We then synchronized our watches and he
<snip >

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn-dot-com