Re: Dead MMC. was: AAAA! My coil...

Hi Chris,
Terry just replied on MMC ratings, and it looks as though the geek ratings
are up there, but apparently voltage hasn't been a problem. I know Terry
"knows" his caps, so I would definitely trust his experience and results as
well as the others who have run the geek group ratings without failures.
Because I don't use the geek group mmc charts (easy enough to do the math
myself), I was unaware that the geek ratings were low on the voltage end of
the specs. Since that is the case, then we definitely would have seen more
failures by now if it was a problem.

Funny, I think I was the first coiler to purchase MMC's from the Geek
Group. I built my MMC's and derated them as I would with any other pulse
cap in TC service. I don't think the MMC chart existed at that time.

So, for MMC's, Geek Group ratings have a low failure rate and should be
fine. For any other pulse cap or untested MMC cap, I would derate the caps
as mentioned previously (better safe then sorry). I now wonder if the cap
that failed was just a lemon in a batch of apples. We may never know
exactly what occurred.

Take care,
Bart