RE: Tapered Wire Secondary

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

David,

I've been wanting to do this too. I believe that the goal is to reduce
coupling in the lower regions of the secondary for higher power TCs
(10kVA and up).

It *may* facilitate base currents better but I don't think that's an
issue to begin with unless one notices secondary heating in the lower
quarter of their secondary coil. It might help racing arcs associated
with narrow band, high power coils to lower coupling near the grounded
end (or provide for tighter primary/secondary physical distance keeping
coupling the same).

I'd go with 14awg for the bottom quarter of the coil and finish it off
with 24awg. Don't ask me why... It's just a hunch after building a large
magnifier two years ago (a permanent outdoor display on the top of the
Haunted Laboratory, a four story brick building in Akron OH, the
magnifier runs at night during the month of October, rain, snow, ice or
wind).

Jeff
www.teslacoil-dot-com