Re: DC Powered Large Tesla Coils

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry
 > Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > I finally got my High Voltage resonant-mode DC power
 > supply to work this
 > past week and am ready to begin thinking
 > how I am going to incorporate this into the DC Tesla
 > Coil I am planning on
 > building.
 > Using a dummy load set-up, I managed to get a
 > sustained output of 2000mA at
 > 45.5kVDC.  However, I am planning on
 > running the supply at a much lower current at about
 > 500mA at 45kVDC.

Dan,

You probably already know this, but at 45Kv you will
be extremely likely to encounter corona loss issues
and related problems such as interturn arcing in your
primary coil.  You will probably want to design the
primary with this in mind, and provide for additional
insulation/clearance than would generaly be used in a
conventional coil.  Just thought I would bring this up
before the plethora of other messages come in
reminding you of this.

 > My
 > current plan calls for a large conventional
 > type tesla coil running with a large ARSG.
 >
 > My question is, that I wanted to get some advice,
 > 'lessons learned', etc...
 > from people who have already ventured into
 > the DC powered tesla coil arena.

I assume you've seen Marco's Thor project.  You might
want to try and talk to him.

later.
-Brett