AAAA! My coil is starting an appetite for resistors! was: First light...Mixed Emotions

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi again,

Yes! It works! (kind of) We were able to get it running for a while. All
that was needed to stop those racing sparks was to raise the secondary a
half an inch or so. By the way, thanks to everyone who suggested it. We
were getting about 20" sparks when after about a half hour of playing
around with it (it wasn't running the entire time) we noticed a spark on
the bottom of the mmc. Not wanting to kill our new capacitors we took it in
for the night. It wasn't untill this morning that I noticed that one of the
bleeder resistors had been completly carbonized! There were scorch marks
underneath it also, but I didn't pay much attention to it thinking that the
resistor may have just blown by itself. So I just put a couple of strips of
electircal tape over the mark, and soldiered a new resistor on. However,
when we blew our second resistor this night, it became apparent that the
resistor is probably arcing to the cap on the other side of the perfboard.
So is there anyway to stop ! this? Sigh - fix one problem and another one
pops up...

-Chris

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all
of them yourself."-unknown