Re: Sync Gap Timing (phase angle considerations)

Original poster: "Dr.Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

You are speaking essentially of the potential and current across the
capacitor as it charges.  The charging current does lag but that is not
important as you simply wait for a long time period until the cap can fully
charge and then you fire it. There is a short build time for the current in
the inductor to hit a max value but this time period is very short with
respect to the initial charging current on the capacitor.  Unless you have a
very poor quality cap of high inductance this will not be a problem as it
should reach full discharge current in well under 1 microsecond.

You time the spark gap to fire as the max available potential across the
capacitor and be sure to use a scope to directly measure this potential ---
don't just try to measure the AC transformer supply potential.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance