Re: Hvguy-dot-com Feedback SSTC and New Stuff!!!

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Jolyon-

I believe I see what you are getting at...but it won't work.  You need a
linear amplifier directly following the network in the return-circuit of
the secondary.  The signal there is no more than noise initially, then
increases to only ~+/- 0.7 V because of the diodes.  You want the diodes so
as to limit the voltage excursion when the oscillations build up.  For that
amplifier, I just use 3 CMOS gates "linearized" with ~100 K feedback
resistors and capacitor-coupled.  The 3 must be in two ICs, not just one,
to avoid deleterious substrate-coupling.  The output of the 3rd one will be
pretty much a 5 V square wave all the time.  Circuit noise in that
amplifier chain should be sufficient to get things started.

You could use, perhaps more efficiently, a single op-amp to drive the
following logic-level gates.

The next CMOS gate in the line will provide a firm square wave, and then
one more can be used, with a switch, to select the correct
positive-feedback phase for the subsequent stages.

Ken Herrick

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:01:34 -0700 "Tesla list"
<<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
 > <<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<<mailto:jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>