First light at 4500VA

Original poster: "Winston Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi All,

	First, my questions:  Will tungsten RSG electrodes give me bigger
sparks than the steel ones I'm using?

	How easy/hard is it to thread "pure" tungsten welding rods???

	I fired my new 6" coil with all of its parts for the first time last
night.  After tuning and fiddling with the rotary phasing (it still
isn't quite right), I was getting two simultanious 6.5' ground strikes!
After about 5 seconds of this, the rotary begins to overheat, and output
dwindles to a single 5-6' streamer, with occasional ground strikes.  A
15 second run brings the stationary electrodes to a nice, bright red
heat ;-(.

	I obviously need a larger toroid (7" isn't big enough to give me a
single streamer).  The secondary coil performed flawlessly, and could
take more than the 0.157 coupling that I had it set at.  My Geek MMC got
to about (guessing here) 5 degrees F above ambient temperature after a
20 second run.  I don't think that's much to worry about, but I hope
they don't heat up any more.  The SRSG obviously had trouble.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Winston K.