From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:21 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Electrostatic Meters - AC not possible

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

To prove that AC measurements using a electrostatic meter is NOT possible, I
went into our lab today and tried measuring 4000VAC (60Hz) using both an EIS
electrostatic meter and a Sensitive Research type electrostatic meter.

For each test, the negative terminal of the electrostatic meter was grounded
and connected to the return for the 4000VAC
source.  A true RMS multimeter with a high voltage probe was used to verify
any readings.

In each instance, the multimeter read the nominal 4000VAC rms, but the each
electrostatic meter read ZERO volts.

To verify the electrostatic meters were working i switched the source to
output 4000VDC and voila, the electrostatic meters both read 4000V on the
nuggin' !

Dan