Re: Yet Another Lo-Budget MOT Experiment

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 12:50 PM 11/11/02 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >Dear List,
 >
 >I just tried the low-voltage high-current approach
 >again using only two series MOTs for ~4 kvac, no
 >doublers, no RF filter, and no ballast. Power was
 >provided by a 240vac/20A window A/C outlet:
 >
 >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/madness7.jpg

<SNIP>

 >I might have to try this again with a >water or oil
 >cooled gap. I also noticed my motor oil immersed MOT
 >twins got very hot.  I cracked the lid of the ammo
 >can and a puff of oil smoke came out! Maybe a bigger
 >oil bath is in order!
 >
 >Regards,
 >
 >Gregory R. Hunter

Hi Greg,

You might want to try putting a coil of 1/2 inch plastic tubing
in your oil bath and run tap water through it to cool the oil.
That is standard proceedure in large KVA transformers.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca