Re: HV Meter

 > Jim,
 >
 >  From one of the best HV books around, "High Power Electronics" by W.
James
 > Sargent and R.E. Dollinger:
 >
 >          Page 303 & 304.  . . . ."Because of the v^2 dependance of the
 > forces (between the disks) the output is nonlinear.  Linearizing
mechanisms
 > are possible, but not usual.  One consequence of the v^2 dependance is
lack
 > of polarity sensitivity.  Also, ac waveforms will work, and a true RMS
 > reading results."
 >
 > I stand behind my original statement that electrostatic meters measure ac
 > in true RMS.

But.. the force between two point charges is  constant * charge1
*charge2/distance^2.. right?

Hmm.. but maybe you can set it up so that the charge is proportional to
voltage, then, of course, the force would be proportional to the voltage
squared.. that must be how it works..

Assume two plates.. you put a voltage on them, and one plate will have
charge = -V/C the other +V/C.. the force would be V/C*V/C... ok.. I guess it
works out..