SS Neon power transformer operation

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Group:

Has anyone had experience with the 220V 50 Hz input, 15 kV, 20 kHz 20 mA
output solid state neon supplies being offered on eBay for $9.99 each?

I know that they are not suitable for TC power work, but I have a custom
xenon filled snake tube that currently uses a similar 9 KV SS supply, and
is operating intermittently, perhaps because of gas cleanup, or a very slow
leak.  Whatever the cause, the discharge goes fuzzy at times, or fails to
completely arc across the 48" tube.  If I run a hand along the outside of
the tube, I can usually get the discharge to operate properly again, at
least for a minute or two.  I'm betting that a hotter supply would make the
tube run again, at least for a while.

I can easily rig an autotransformer to get 220 volts for the input.  I
suspect that these use a switching type driver that rectifies the input 110
Vac line input, and probably wouldn't care much if it was seeing 50 Hz or
60 Hz.  However, I thought I'd ask in case some had an experience blowing
one up on 60 Hz power.

Any experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave