electrostatic Re: HV Meter

>I have just acquired (second hand) a 4kV panel meter, which I plan to
>incorporate into a test jig for MOT's.

>The meter is labelled as being electrostatic:
>1) Am I correct in assuming that this means that it's DC only?

         Should be happy on AC.  BOTH plates reverse on AC, so the
         DIFFERENCE in voltage is still present, as is the
         mechanical force which operates the meter.

>2) If (1), would an MO diode and capacitor make adequate

>rectification for it?

         cf above.  I wouldn't.

>3) Would I be reading peak or RMS with such a half-wave arrangement?

         cf above.  I disrecall if an electrostatic meter
         is peak, (rectified) average or RMS.  (and I'm away from
         my books too).
         A rectifier will reduce the reading by half of whatever.
         (My recollection is 'peak', but that seems wrong....???)

>Can't lay my hands on my book from which I normally seek such wisdom ;-)

>4) If I were to use a resistor string (voltage divider) to increase my
>range, would it be best to go before or after the rectifier, if used?
         I'd say before.  ??

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...