Re: Grounded Gas Line Re:3/4, 1/4,or 3/4 copper tubing?...

>In clearification on the grounded gas line, it is connected to the
>electrical ground which is also connected to the water pipe.  Looking at
>this, I think it was done as a lightning protection method.  It was
>installed when the house was built.  It could be local code, but

>I still  don't like the idea of any voltage on that pipe.

         ....which is why they are bonded together. (The
         _grounding_ is coincidental).

         If there are two isolated (by the dirt, in this case)
         bodies of metal, and an electric surge wanders by,
         a voltage difference WILL develop.  Unless.  The
         two metal bodies be bonded together.  Surge can arise
         from lighting, power switching, induction from lightning,
         downed power line, etc...

         Experience has shown that bonding everything safest.

         (ideally, in large masses, dirt is conductive.  locally,
         in smaller samples, it may not be so conductive....

--
         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...