Re: Tesla Coil Tricks

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hello Dan,

I have came up with a wild idea for a trick.  Suspend one of those
motorized airplanes that fly in circles above your coil.  Add some
aluminium foil or wires to provide a dicharge path around the motor and
battery, thus protecting them.  It would look similar to a real airplane
getting hit by lightning, as it flys around in circles above your
coil.  There's also a helicopter, a bat ( Great for Halloween ), flying
pig, ect.  You would need somthing sturdy above the coil like rafters or a
heavy long boomed mic stand, to attach the fishline. I have got to try this
on my coil.

Also try a zinc wicked candle.  This will produce small ball lightning.  As
Tesla used a #10 rubber coated wire in his ball lightning
expiriments.  Rubber coated wire back then had lots of soot in it.  The
zinc wick has a fine zinc wire in it and is known to produce sooty
flames.  They are a little harder to find.  Make sure that you have a way
to contain any spilled wax.  If outdoors pick a really calm night.

Thanks for getting me thinking,

David E Weiss