Re: 3/4, 1/4, or 3/4 copper tubing? Is a Strike Rail needed?

Original poster: "Terry Blake by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Adam,

I have not used a strike rail yet, but I am thinking about it.  I have not
had anything bad happen, but when my primary gets hit, it tends to fire the
safety gaps.  That bugs me for two reasons;

1) I have to back off the power to quench the gap
      (maybe I should use one of those horn gaps).
2) There is clearly a surge going to my transformer. That makes me worry.

Here is my HUGE coil primary taking a hit.
http://tb3.phpwebhosting-dot-com/tesla/hugecoil/powerup2/P6280028.jpg

Here are the filters and safty gaps.
http://tb3.phpwebhosting-dot-com/tesla/hugecoil/powerup2/P6290024.jpg

Here is all about my HUGE coil.
http://www.tb3-dot-com/tesla/hugecoil/hugecoil.html

I guess if you have protection for your transformers, it may not be a
problem.  But it is relatively easy to add this protection.  My real concern
is when I take a hit to my secondary.  That really hurts.

What do other people have to say about the strike rail?

Terry Blake
Coiling in Chicago.