Re: 3/4, 1/4, or 3/4 copper tubing?

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
 > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
 >
 >  > I am in the process of building my new coil, but
 > wondering if I should use
 >  > 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 inch copper tubing for my
 > primary. My power supply will
 > be
 >  > 2 12/60 nst's (1440W). Also, what size tubing
 > should I use for my spark
 > rail?
 >  > Thanks
 >  > Adam
 >

 > You'll get a lot of different opinions on this, but
 > 1/4" copper tubing
 > should be just fine.  I run two (2) 15kV/60mA NSTs
 > using only a
 > 1/4" copper tubing and it barely gets warm even
 > during long run periods.
 >
 > Strike rail???  A strike is good for looks.
 > Functionally, its basically
 > worthless in my opinion.   In my experience, the
 > same people claiming you
 > need
 > a ground system consisting of six hundred,
 > geometrically spaced, 20 foot
 > rods in the earth are the same people who are going
 > to tell you you need
 > a strike rail.

Yeah, I don't use a strike rail either, in my 6"
system.  My coil puts out arcs nearly twice the length
of the secondary with a 12/60 and i've never had a
primary strike.

-Brett
www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett

_