Re: 1600 turns

Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Godfrey

Jeez...  I thought we'd left this 'magic turns count' thing behind along
with glass capacitors and carboard coilforms!  Turns count should not be a
primary design parameter.  Resonant frequency (as low as possible) and Zout
(~ 40k is about right for a coil of this scale) should be the primary design
considerations, although imho the size of former and guage of wire you
happen to have on hand are every bit as valid!

Traditionally one advantage of a higher turn count, higher inductance,
secondary is that is forces one to use a primary with more turns, hence a
higher primary Zsurge and reduced gap losses.  This can also be achieved by
using a higher input voltage, but for reaons of practicallity most people
operate below 15kV.  John Freau has been a leading exponent of the 'high
turns count' school of design -

http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

-Dave-