Re: SRSG gap spacing?

In a message dated 5/26/02 11:21:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Dave Leddon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <leddon-at-attbi-dot-com>

Dave,

Many coils refuse to run well with a wide SRSG electrode spacing.
Much of this probably has to do with firing voltage.  If the firing
voltage is low, due to a non-resonant charging setting, or if the
transformer voltage is rather low, then the electrode spacing will
need to be closer.  Large powerful coils usually can tolerate a
wider electrode spacing.  Thick electrodes combined with a
fast charge rate, in a powerful coil, may not tolerate narrow
gap spacings, because re-firing of the electrodes during the
presentations, may occur.

NST's can be destroyed by wide electrode settings, and often
run unsteadily, and give short streamer lengths.

Basically, the electrode spacing which gives the steadiest,
smoothest operation, with the longest streamer lengths, should
be used.

Cheers,
John