RE: Protecting Garage Door Opener

Hi Jim,

At the least, unplug it and tuck the wire antenna out of the way.  The best
way is to remove the PC board that has all the electronics on it.  They are
usually hooked in with connectors that just unplug or you could add a few
connectors where needed so the board can be removed easily.  The remaining
motor, light, power cord...  will not be hurt by a TC.

Cheers,

	Terry

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Like many Tesla coilers, I run my coils in a garage. Early in the game I had
>the misfortune of having the receiving board in the opener go dead after
>running my coil (at that time I was using a 12kv x 60mA NST). One
contributor I
>think in retrospect was that I had wrapped some aluminum foil around the power
>unit to act as a shield. Didn't ground it, so probably picked up RF rather
than
>shielding it.
>
>Now I only run a small coil (30mA) with the receiver card still in the opener
>(opener unplugged of course). No problems. I haven't tried the bigger coil
>(180mA) with the board installed since it costs $80 to replace and my wife
>isn't too keen on using a push button on the wall to run the opener while
I get
>the card replaced.
>
>So I wonder, what experience is out there on protection of door openers?
BTW it