Re: SRSG timing & other Q's

Hi Steven,

The phase for an SRSG has got to be adjusted mechanically or electrically.
The cradle is a good
method and best if you can turn the motor in the cradle (via motor control
or long insulator) while
it's running (obviously, you could setup a second dc motor to adjust the
main motor position). It
sure beats the trial and error method of changing either motor or disk
position between runs.
Electrically, I think John's phasing approach has worked for numerous
coilers, including myself.

Phasing may not be the problem. If you've tried phasing through 45 degrees
at different positions
and have not had a change, I would look elsewhere.

Yes, a safety gap can be too close (or too wide), and yes it can fire when
the main gap is not in
place if the transformer can charge the cap to the voltage required to arc
the gap. I saw your post
previous to this and was going to reply (I believe you had some info on
setup?), but unfortunately
deleted it and had cleared the trash before I realized yours was deleted.
Maybe you can post your
setup again with transformer voltages? It shouldn't be too hard to analyze
and get you in the
ballpark. Also, curious as to what you used prior to the SRSG and how you
had that setup (also, were
there any other changes to the coil along side the SRSG?).

Take care,
Bart