Re: NST SGFP & safety gap

Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

Lance,
    I'm not sure about that NST, better let some other people on the list
tackle that one.  The safety gap should be set, at most, just beyond the
point where it arcs with nothing connected to the transformer.  Generally
this will be about 1/4", any more than that and you are risking the life of
the NST.  What I try to do is get the coil tuned and then close down the
safetys as far as I can without having them fire more than once or twice
every 15 seconds or so.  Mine right now are less than 1/4".  Don't run the
transformer without properly set safety gaps!  I have killed a 12/30 without
safetys doing this and have killed a 15/30 without safetys just
experimenting with a triggered gap.  Anyway, the center electrode should go
to the ground that the transformer is connected to.  In my case, that is the
wall outlet ground and the ground rod of my house (actually the case of the
breaker panel).

Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy, KB3EWY
Internet Homepage: http://users.rcn-dot-com/tcobaugh/andy/tesla.htm
Ham Radio Call: KB3EWY
AIM SN: KB3EWY