Alternate Tesla Coils (Re: Pulse Transformer)

>>>I have never heard of a vacuum tube Tesla coil. Are you perhaps
>>>referring to Wardencliff where the plan was to create an

>>>open ended vacuum?

>>  Roughly speaking a VTTC uses a vacuum tube to replace the
>>spark gap. The tube is put into conduction long enough to
>>"ring up" the secondary, then cut off. The envelope is
>>approximately flat instead of exponential as in a SG coil
>>hence the "CW as opposed to impulse" explanation. That's
>>kinda raw; use Google to find more.

> Most interesting, I have read about another replacement

>for the spark gap. I will read about vacuum tubes.

	There are a couple of different concepts:
	Direct Replacement (which the usual VTTC does not
	do, tho it could be done ....  I guess) to have a
	'shock excited' system, analogous to a spark gap
	coil.   'functional' is more common, where the VT
	is used in a conventional oscillator, which
	provides continuous wave (CW) excitation of the
	Tesla Secondary.

	best
	dwp